Thursday, January 13, 2011

Teacher Training Day 1

     Today was my first day at A.I. Steenkamp in Windhoek, Namibia. Although the first day of school is not until Monday, we had the opportunity to go in today, and again tomorrow, for their teacher trainings/work days. As in the previous trips they have not made it to Namibia in time to participate fully in these days, the day looked like a big question mark. Unsure of the official start time, or what exactly we would be doing, we simply got up early, dressed our teacher-best, at hopped in our taxi at 6:45 am ready to face whatever came our way.
     There are 2 schools we are going to--A.I. Steenkamp and Moses Garoeb. Molly, Veronica, Jessica and I are going to the first, and Jill, Bri and Kari the latter. Janelle is a Physical education major and is working at both schools, but attended Moses today. Katee, the last, but not least, member of our 9-some, is working in an orphanage and gets to go in for her first meeting tomorrow (super exciting).
     All this being said, those of us at Steenkamp got dropped off first, to a very deserted school. Once we walked up to the entrance, and greeted one of the teachers, George, he informed us that the meeting didn't start for another 20 minutes and the principal wasn't there yet. That being said, Jan and Paula left us with their business cards and off they went to take the other girls to Moses; with the promise, however, that they would stop back by and check in to make sure we were settled in.
     At first this was awkward. Very few staff was there and we were not being greeted by anyone around us. However, after a few minutes a couple loud, boyant teachers approached with huge smiles. After shaking hands with these ladies, we were introduced to Ms. Kombuku and Mae Mae. Mae Mae was not her real name, however it was so difficult, that everyone at the school called her Mae Mae. In Namibian cultural, Mae Mae is another word for Ma Ma and is a term of adoration and respect.
     These two women talked to us for quite some time, and over an hour later (yes...it is now around 9am) the meeting had still not started, but we were chatting and mingling with the staff. It was interesting seeing them all greet each other after a 6 week break. I don't know what I was expecting, but for some reason their excitement and cheerful greetings to each other was not it. When talking to Aline and Nikomba, two of the other teachers, they informed us that they are a very loud, close group. Of course, I responded with, "That's perfect! We will fit right in then...being loud is what I do best." They laughed pretty hard about this, and then we all continued to chat.
     Mae Mae was definitely the person I was drawn to the most and connected with the quickest. She was full of advice, wisdom, a friendly smile, and tons of humor! During one period of prolonged joking, Mae Mae wanted to clarify to me and the other girls that she was like this with everyone. That she was not picking on us at all, but that this is who she is and everyone knew it. I reassured her that I was the same way and that it made me feel welcomed. To this she stuck out her hand, grabbed mine, and pulled me onto her lap. She than began simply hugging me and chatting with me about the staff.
     The meeting then began. (it is now 10:05 by the way.) However we were not called to attention, but rather a few women started singing, and everyone else joined in. Being that the song was simple and easy to catch on to, I joined in as well. A few worship songs in, the principal requested a song, and even though we had already sang it, we then stood up and sang it again. The song went, "There's never been a day like this day to me. There's never been a day like this day I see. There's never been a day so shiny, so bright. There's never been a day like this day." One of the women then began holding up one finger; and to this, just the soprano women sang; followed by two fingers for the altos, three for the tenors, then four for the basses. We then sang all together once more.
      Although this was a normal occurence and start to their meetings, I had never been so enthralled at the start of any meeting in my life. It seemed to join us all together as one group. Even though my voice is definitely not the best, being a part of this experience was not something I was going to let slip past me. The swaying of my body, clapping, and singing loud just happened; it was not planned, but it is what I was moved to do, along with a majority of the staff in the room. During this time, even though I could not pronounce most of the names in the room (at least not yet), and I did not know their backgrounds, and I had met them a mere few hours before, I felt like I was accepted. We were now a team. A unit. A staff. A school family.
     The principal then shared a few words about the school year and opened the meeting with a few passages from scripture and inspirational words. After this, we took a short tea break and then began going over the teacher prospectus.
     The teacher prospectus is very similar to the handbook that I had gone over during the staff days at Lake Grove Elementary, back home. It was full of the mission, aims, codes, expectations and regulations. Although this is a pretty mundane task, the new principal at the school this year, captivated me from the start.
     Mrs. Kamahanee had been one of the 4 Heads of Department at Steenkamp for several years, and had been appointed to principal this year. She was full of passion, commitment, encouragement and wisdom. She discussed the national standards for teachers and why they were important. She then went into the mission and aims of Steenkamp and the importance of that being our daily priorities when teaching. Although I would love to tell you all about this meeting, I have come to find I am already very long winded on these blog posts, and this could last forever. Instead, I will share with you a few quotes from Mrs. Kamahanee.
     After discussing nurses, traffic officers, police, etc, she stated, "Teachers should live along with each person in other places...thats how we know we dour job very well." In a larger context, what she was saying was that when we teach, we are teaching people about things that will affect them for the rest of their lives. We are the ones who motivate them and educate them to be whatever it is they decide to be and whatever it is they become.
     Mrs. Kamahanee also said the following statements:
"We are teaching the most precious asset of the country, and they will come with many short comings. Our job is to teach each and every one, no matter how they come."
"You, sitting here, are the most important person in the lives of many of our students."
"Education is not the key; the teacher is the key. Wrong education and half of an education is not a key, the teacher makes the key."
"I believe in the individual that makes up a community. If individuals are not involved, then a community is nothing."
"Put your heart in wahy you do, and you will help them become somebodies"
"Teach a student. Teach a class. Teach a school. Teach a nation. All made by the teacher."
     I was inspired by this meeting, by this staff, and by this day. Although I did not receive a placement for a teacher, grade or subject, I did not leave feeling unsatisfied in anyway. If anything, I left feeling inspired and excited for all that is to come while I am here and a part of the amazing school of A.I. Steenkamp.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica you are amazing, I am pretty sure they didn't know what hit them when you walked in the building. The school there will never be the same, and it sounds like you to will grow and become an even more amazing teacher. Never worry about being long winded in your posts we love all of the details you are sharing. Praying for you...keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete