Friday, February 4, 2011

Hello Friday and Hello Rain

     The morning began with our normal breakfast and taxi routine, other than the now missing morning dance. The video below does partially make up for it, however it will never be the same. On arrival to AI Steenkamp, we were surrounded by learners instantaneously. They must have some sort of secret call so that all of the kids on or near campus at the time knows the American teachers have arrived, because they are like magnets the moment we step out of the taxi.

     After our morning chat session with the learners from pre-primary up through grade 7, our hair being petted and played with, and many questions about ourselves, we headed in for our morning devotion and staff meeting. Ms. Forchen, MJ's special class cooperating teacher, led this morning and it was fabulous! She was so encouraging to all of the staff about being joyful and thankful for what we have, as people and as teachers. It definitely got all of our Fridays started off on the right foot.

     I had planning 1st period, which meant that I glanced over my lessons for the day and just discussed with Janelle the difficulties and struggles we have been facing student teaching here. To be completely honest, it was not at all what I expected. I was nervous about the learners, planning, teachers, etc, but I ultimately I was not too scared because ultimately I stand knowing that I love kids and building relationships with them. Despite other issues that I have faced in the past as a teacher, having those relationships has always kept me afloat. Here, however, I was not with the same kids every day. The first 2 weeks I moved class to class, age to age, teacher to teacher, and learners to learners. Relationships would start to form and then be gone in an instant. I guess I felt like I was taken out at the knees. I felt pretty down about it and as if I was never going to succeed as a teacher, especially here. The only 'impact' I felt like I was making was not having the learners beat up on each other, as I felt like that was all I was really doing. I felt like I was just another teacher who lectured them and who they had to listen to...but that wasn't good enough for me. Even though I felt like a failure, I just kept trying--various strategies, management techniques, approaches, etc. I felt like I had already fallen on my face, so what was the harm in falling again? The worst that could happen was I would be where I was. This was Tuesday.

     Today, I feel completely different. Granted, I definitely failed at points and lessons definitely did not soar like I thought they would, but I know they are learning. I know they enjoy my class. I know THEM. Although the inconsistency for the first few weeks here definitely had its toll on me, I learned a lot about myself as a person and a teacher. If I could go back and get an 'easy' placement and be in one classroom all day, I do not think I would. I love my 4 classes and having 3 grade levels. I have come to terms with the fact that there were some challenges that knocked me flat on my face, and others that I conquered. I know that it is not going to be easy from here on out, but I do know that I can still stand, even if that means that I fall and have to figure out a way to pick myself up.

     All of that being said, today was a great day. After talking with Janelle, I definitely left feeling pretty motivated and excited to face my 5D class. They, once again, had a great day! With a lot of the big management issues now diminished, I am able to start encouraging behavior the supports learning more, instead of huge issues like fights, chairs being thrown and constant interruptions. We started working on rounding today, and they seemed to do pretty well. To some, this was very simple, and others are definitely struggling. That being said, I think I am going to have the opportunity to try and differentiate my instruction and lesson in that class on Monday...we shall see how that goes.

     I then had 7B for English. The Head of Department, once again, did not show up. This time, I went in to see what she was doing as the prefects watched the class and looked for an open room for us. She told me she was busy and handed me a reading passage and questions she wanted them to accomplish. I brought the handouts with me and found out that every classroom was taken and no teachers had an 'open room'. That being said, we plopped down on the cement in the courtyard and began working. As learners began to bicker, argue, and fight, I reminded them that they were not in desks and if they needed to move so they could focus and work, that would be a great decision. This comment lead to an almost entire shuffle of the class. A few of the boys were helping the normal teacher deliver books, so they were just another distraction on top of the cleaners, students going to the office, and the fact that they have no desks and were sitting on their bags.

     After just handing out the paper for them to read and answer, I decided that just letting them do the work wasn't good enough. As I have a feeling that me being left along with this class will be a frequent occurance, I decided to teach them a reading strategy before starting the assignment. We discussed the option of reading the questions before the passage, and I rocked their world. They had never heard of such a thing. I then had them work with those around them to brainstorm what some of the benefits would be to doing this, and it was like a whole new world was opend up to them. Not only were they allowed to do an assignment in an order it was not placed in, but they were allowed to talk about it first. Throughout their reading, I also told them to circle words they didn't know or understand. After that, they discussed with each other what they thought the words meant. Once again, a whole new concept. Ultimately, not only did all the learners (well, at least the ones there) finish their assignments, but they were trying to use the new vocabulary from the passage in their talks. I loved it.

     As 4th period was the starting, they informed me that Myka, their Social Studies teacher, was gone so they had nothing to do. Great. So I had the prefects find an empty class after the period had started while I went to find Myka, since I saw him that morning. He informed me that he was busy with other duties but that I could give them this handout to do silently. I returned with the handouts and lead them through their social studies activity, which was just copying down terms out of an article. Instead of just copying, I had the learners discuss what they thought the terms meant in the context before finding the answer. We also put various motions to the definitions to help them remember what they meant. All in all, yet another successful class period.

    It was then break time, and I returned to my 5D room so that my learners could retake their math tests if they wanted. Out of the 44 learners, only 8 took them over. Although this is less than I was hoping for, it made me proud to see some of the learners whom decided to retake them. They all wanted me to mark them then and there, and the results were great. Even though they did not all retake the test, I now have reassurance that there was at least improvement made from day 1 until now.

     I then had my 6A author class. They were all ecstatic to show me their homework of 24 sentences and that it was completed for their certificate. After discussing peer editing, what it looked like, sounded like, and the benefits of it, they began to correct each other's work as I walked around and made a certificate for each of them. Their faces lit up as I wrote each of their names correctly, let them choose a sticker, and chatted with them for a bit about a few of their sentences. Although the homework completion was not 100%, out of my 42 learners, 35 had it completed, which was much better than ever before. The entire class period went great and they are all excited for me to read their sentence and forus to start our final drafts of our books next week.

     I then had 7E English for the first time yet. This was definitely my one struggle for a period today. I had never had this group before, so I had to start by teaching them routines, procedures and expectations. Instead of forcing them to read out loud to the whole class so that I "can hear how horrible of readers they are" (yes...that is a direct quote from my teacher), I let them ask me some questions about my life back home, and then had them work in small groups on the passage as I circulated and listened to them read in pairs. After listening to almost the whole class, the classes overall reading level is no where close to where I would expect them to be as grade 7 learners. But at the same time, I did not see how forcing them to read aloud to the whole class to demonstrate that they struggled with reading would benefit or encourage them. I think I am going to start trying to listen to the learners read and have them read in pairs at least once a week. Ultimately, I just think they need practice with reading material that is achievable for them instead of at-level passages that are setting them up to fail. They do need practice, but they need it to be at the level they are currently at and not where they should be.

     As I, for some reason, have no classes the last 2 periods of the day, I opted to go hang out with my wonderful pre-primary class. They were all pretty excited to see me, and so what the teacher. I met with her the day prior to draft a letter with her to the parliament building to schedule a class visit. Although I am not too sure about the pre-primary class being ideal for touring the parliament building, I do think that it will be great for many of them to visit Windhoek and leave Katutura for the first time. The teacher took this opportunity to leave for about an hour as I read to them, sang with them and helped them practice writing their names. Several of my students passed by at one point and were all upset as they thought I was abandoning their class for the pre-primary class. I ensured them that was not the case and sent them on their way.

     Janelle then joined me since it had began to rain and PE was cancelled. The primary grades were released at this time, as well, so we soon had gathered quite the group of learners hanging out with us under the cover. The rain then stopped for a bit, so Janelle taught some of them how to jump rope. It was great interacting with them and watching their faces beam as they learned how to use and successfully jump a jump rope. After a then downpour of rain, we all waited for Shane to pick us up. My 5th graders stayed with us for the 30 minute wait and were enjoying the downpour of rain all around--running, jumping and racing through puddles.

     It is now still downpouring, but the great thing is this is a BEAUTIFUL day to them. It has been a very, very long time since Namibia has seen this much rainfall, and they absolutely love and need it. Everyday it pours, we start off by singing "There's never been a day like this day". Although one of the lines says, "So shiny so bright", to them, the rain is shiny and bright. It brings promise that they will not go thirsty or run out of water during the dry season. Although I would love to have some sunshine to go sit out in right now, I have come to find a new appreciation for the rain, both here and back home.

     With the rest of our day still undecided, we are all simply lounging around for a while. I think am going to do some much needed organizing and cleaning as the hustle and bustle of the week has left my 'area' a disaster zone of various school supplies and purchases. As I continue to watch the rain pour down, and as I am trying to muster up the motivation to start the cleaning process, I cannot help but to have "There's never been a day like this day" playing over and over in my head.


Our Morning Send off

Outside class with 7B

Working hard, despite sitting on the groud

Reading and Writing

Zacharius cheesing it as he delivers books

Jump Rope Lesson

Success!

Maria...the Steenkamp puppy

When it rains, it pours...

Water fun!

Mea nd a coule of my 5D boys: Augustus, Aloys, Aravat and Saddam
-


1 comment:

  1. I am glad today is getting better with your placement--yours has truly been a challenging placement and you have handled it gracefully.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete