Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You Learn Something(s) New Everyday

Tuesday was full of lessons for me at A.I. Steenkamp and at Dolam's Children Home.

Lesson #1: Always come with a bag of tricks.

     I started my day with a lovely period with 7B. Being that our track meet is on Thursday and our school is the host, the Head of Department was quite busy planning and preparing. That being said, I went solo for both sessions of 7B English. Thankfully, last minute I had snagged my Northwest Animals book from my night stand. This saved me. During the first session, we simply read the book and discussed the vocabulary. Words such as traction, remote, stampede and shallow provided great ways to get them to open up and predict what words meant. At first, they all were pretty shy about guessing, but the moment I gave random examples that were absolutely ridiculous, hands shot up in the air. During the next period I pulled out a Hassen literacy tool box strategy for vocabulary. We made a 3 column chart for word, meaning and picture. We filled out the words and as I re-read the book to them, they gave me a quiet thumb when they heard one. I then gave them 1 minute to discuss the meaning with their partner and the continued on. Although they didn't get to finish completely in class, they were all excited to finish it for homework and share the sketches with me tomorrow.



7B working on their Vocabulary



Lesson #2: Never doubt a class...they will surprise you.

     Yesterday I pre-assessed my 5D's addition skills by giving them 2 problems to solve on a scrap paper. When going through them last night, I discovered that 1/3 of them couldn't add at all, 1/3 couldn't carry numbers to the next column, and 1/3 nailed it. That being said, one thing came to my mind--differentiate. At first I was pretty excited as I was planning. I busted out construction paper and started making 3 different activities and putting my learners into groups of 4 or 5 so they could work together to solve problems that challenged them, but were at their level. As I was putting them in groups it hit me, this was my 5D group. Who knows what would happen. That being said, I apprehensively finished the lesson.

     This morning, I shared my worries with my colleagues (trying to pick up on the lingo around here), and I was given the encouragement of, "trying never hurt anything". They were right...so I went for it. And, oh, I am SO glad I did.

     What a great double period of math with 5D! It was by far the best day with them yet. After a quick refresher and reminder about group behavior, what it looked like and sounded like, I got them into their groups and reading their directions. Being that one group was using place value charts and beads as manipulatives, which is something they had never done before, I met with these 3 groups first and demonstrated how to solve the problems they were given. After they were off, I began to circulate. It was then I noticed that the whole time I was instructing my manipulatives group, the rest of the class had been quietly working together. No fights. No 'Miss! Miss'. Nothing. Just 46 mathematicians working hard. I was blown away.

     I got to work with each group multiple times throughout my hour and a half, and throughout I kept praising the class for their great behavior. At first, they just smiled, but by the end of the period they were beaming. It went so well, that we even had enough time, respect and patience to take a class photo...go figure. 5D taught me a lesson today, for sure. I will never again doubt a group of learners. Whether it be that consistent management finally kicked in or that they were finally being met where they were at, they were engaged the entire double math period. I guess this goes to show that you have to meet a kid where they are at to get them to where you want them to go.





Zocklynta Working Hard

5D Goofy!

My Oh-so-special 5D Class (missing a few at athletics)

Tia giving Saddam some support

Working with manipulatives for the first time...EVER.

Lesson #3: Choose your battles.

     The school is trying to strongly enforce walking in straight, silent lines during passing period. This means no stopping for water or playing around between classes. That being said, when I see learners dumping water all over their heads during passing period, I figured I should probably say something. Being that the water fountain is round with a dozen spickets all around it, what really happened was a game of cat and mouse. I walked around the thing probably 3 times before I realized this was not a battle I wanted to fight. Honestly, its their passing time and I have nothing against them getting a drink. That being said, I simply walked away chuckling at my efforts. I think I will stick with trying to stop beatings instead.

     That being said, fast forward to right after school waiting for our taxi. Across the school grounds is a open park with just a black top. As we are all talking to a large group of learners and waving farewell to some as they ride off in the backs of trucks and taxis, I noticed a crowd of learners running towards the blacktop--there was about to be a fight. And by fight, I don't mean one kid just pushing another and them yelling. Instead, I see 3 boys of various ages taking off their school uniform shirts and glasses to start wailing on each other. Whether it is school grounds or not, I was not about to watch this. That being said, I rushed across the street and started hollering at the boys. I couldn't get their to stop the fight before it began, but I did stop it after a few blows. Immediately, the learners began to scamper away, and I called them all back. Heads down, they all returned. This lead to a great conversation with about 20 or so learners about fighting, violence, problem solving, representing your school and being proud of the choices you make. A few tears and a lot of hugs later, I rejoined my colleagues and our taxi pulled up a few moments later. Now, that is a battle I will fight.


Some of our Learners heading home

Lesson #4: Never be afraid to jump right in.

     Although this was a lesson that I learned at during my first few days at Steenkamp, I was once again reminded today that I should never be afraid to just jump right in and teach...no matter the classroom. I had 2 break periods today, again, so I decided to hop in and observe another class or two. Instead, I passed the first grade 4 class to find that they were still all 'lined up', or should I say mobbed, in front of the classroom. After spending a few minutes getting them in line, I asked them who their teacher was, and it is the head staff member in charge of Athletics. That being said, I knew he wouldn't return for the day. I had them all enter quietly, which was not so quietly, and take a seat. After my ever so polished teacher talk, I asked them what they were learning. Thank goodness it was not Afrikaans this time, but Math.

     As I looked at the board it was covered in work for various subjects. At first I was apprehensive to erase any, but then decided I had no other option. That being said, the old math work went away, and they were given new subtraction problems to do silently. Once they were finished, they were to trade and have a partner correct their work and look it over. MJ had stopped in briefly to see the class, so we demonstrated how to correct a peers work without giving them the answer. It was great. The learners loved it, and they were all excited to play 'teacher' with their peers. The whole period went great from their on out, and the teacher even stopped by briefly. He entered looking like he was ready to yell, then froze in his tracks. He then had quite a perplexed look on his face, until he saw me kneeling by a learner helping them. I went up and apologized for erasing his board, and he just smiled and thanked me for covering. Before I had a chance to say anything else, he was gone again. I guess me jumping in was okay.


4D doing their work

48 learners in this 4th grade class...no big.

Yeah...adorable.

Lesson #5: Even the best classes have their off days.

     My last class was 6A, which has been my star class so far. They have had very few behavior issues and have ate up each every routine and procedure without the slightest hiccup...until today. Now granted, half of this class was new to me, so I cannot really compare this group to the one I had last week, but at the same time I don't expect to be breaking up a half dozen fights at once before the period starts. After a quick refresher on expectations, we were back on track.

     However, the hiccups didn't stop there. I then had a learner tell me one of the boys had taken one of my packs of colored pencils and put them in his bag. I called him up to ask where his colored pencils went because he was sharing and he said he didn't know. I asked him to check his bag, and he slowly went over and pulled them out. This then lead to a nice little chat after school. After he blamed it on them accidently falling in (by the way, the backpack was zipped), another peer, and the fact that he had asked me already that day, the tears began to flow. I told him that I would have let him borrow the colored pencils for the evening if he only had asked. This seemed like a huge shock to him. I then explained to him, though, that because he had lied and tried to take them, this was not an option for him today. His new job for tomorrow and the remainder of my time here is to hand out and collect my colord pencils to make sure I get them all. Also, if any learner wants to borrow them, he is to ask them to come ask me directly. We shall see how that goes.

Lesson #6: Johannes.

     Today I learned a little more about one of our orphanage kids, Johannes. It was his birthday today and he was turning 10 years old. We were pretty excited about this and making it a big deal as we were 'resting' before study time. Elsy, the house mother, then told us that they do the big celebration for birthdays at the end of the month, but today was different because of Johannes situation. As I must of have a inquisitive look on my face, she then went on to explain that Johannes use to have a twin sister whom passed away last year. This was his first birthday without her. This rocked me. I had no idea.

     Johannes then entered the living room from the kitchen beaming ear to ear with two cupcakes in his hand. I quickly put a smile on my face as he smiled back then veered toward to shelves on the side of the room. Here was pictures of all the orphanage children. In the center, was a black and white picture of his sister laminated. His smile got even wider as he set the cupcake in front of the picture and began to eat. I sat there at first not really knowing what to say or do. I then walked over and stood by him as he chatted with me about his sister Chantell and how she would love this cupcake so much. After a few minutes, the cupcake was consumed and he went back to the living room to play again with everyone else. I still stood there unsure of what to think or feel. Chantell looked almost identical to Johannes other than long, braided hair.

     As he seemed to be doing a lot better than me, I decided to follow Johannes lead and enjoy the rest of the afternoon, playing with my beads, counting, and making home made donuts and dough in celebration. However, Johannes and his sister still weigh heavy on my mind. His older brothers, Gustav and Conrad, also are at the home and did a great job of making Johannes have a great birthday. There are a lot of lessons I think I can learn from Johannes and the other kids at the orphanage today, however right now I think the one that stuck the most is to enjoy life and never miss a chance to show love to those around you.


Me and the Birthday Boy!

Johannes stole my camera...have about 30 random pictures...

Gavin and the new kitty named puppy

I decided to teach the kids at the home how to use the beads as manipulatives...graceful me spilled them all over the floor. Attaway, Jessica...attaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment